Monday, June 13, 2011

Internship Starts Tomorrow!

Hallo!! Guten Tag! It's been a few days since I have updated my blog, I have been running around the big city of Berlin a lot this weekend. Here's what's been going on the past 3 days since I last updated my blog.

On Friday, I woke up around 7:30 and walked down to one of the buildings here at ZALF where all the chambers are stored, and I helped unload the chambers from the truck with Kofi. Late Thursday, the interns came back from the fields where the research is conducted. They saved most of the unloading for me and Kofi ;-) (just kidding). Here is a random fact about my morning's: it is very easy to get up and get going. The sun rises just after 4:30 here, and by 5:15-5:30, the sun is already shinning through my window, and onto my face. This makes sleeping in a difficult task (it still is possible here though!). After me and Kofi finished unloading all the chambers, we met Mathias. Mathias showed us what we'll be doing when we get back from the field. This involved very heavy (20-30 pound) machines called "loggers." These loggers measure the CO2 concentrations in the chambers every 20 seconds or so I believe. Mathias showed us how to upload the data from the loggers onto a laptop, and then from the laptop to ZALF's servers. I then met Andrej and Nathan. Two environmental science students who just finished their junior year of school at the University of Calgary. The plan for us was to go to Berlin and buy my rail ticket (the quickest and cheapest way to go back and forth to Berlin from Muncheberg), and set up my bank account so I could receive my stipend from ZALF, and DAAD. My rail ticket wasn't cheap at all, but it's worth it. My train ticket to get to Berlin cost me 7.80 euros, that is if you include the bus that took us from ZALF to the train station. This fare is only a one way pass, and when compared to my 90.00 euro monthly pass, you can easily see which is the better deal. So we went to Berlin and bought my rail ticket, and set up my bank account. We also did some sight seeing in Berlin. I just want to say that Berlin from far away doesn't look like a big city. It doesn't have a lot of tall buildings so it's very deceiving. Once you get to the city center and see how large Alexanderplatz is, your perceptions instantly change. I cannot wait to explore more of Berlin later this summer during my weekends off! After setting everything up, we got lunch at a hamburger place south of the city center, and I had a delicious hamburger! After lunch we made our way back towards Muncheberg, as it was late afternoon and we were all tired from walking around the city all day.

The next three days I did not do very much, and used them to explore things I could do in my free time here. Saturday I checked out a bowling alley on the southern side of the city. It was called East-side Bowling, and it looked like a promising spot for me to get in some practice for the off-season. After looking at their prices, (the cheapest was 13 Euro, an hour) I decided to look elsewhere. I must admit though, it was a very cool bowling alley, it was a 20 lane center that was on the 6th floor of an 8-story building. When I was through with that, I rode the Underground to a beer store to buy some alcoholic cider (believe it or not, that's how the original cider was made). I bought two bottles for 8 euros, but when I drank them on Saturday and Sunday, they were definitely worth the price. On Sunday, I woke up around 9 am to go to try my luck at an old brunswick bowling alley in north-east Berlin. On their website they offered a special on Sunday's for 1 euro a game. To my luck, they did offer games at 1 euro per game and I bowled 5 games. Averaging 205.8! :). See picture on left for the bowling alley.

As for today, we had a holiday and I took this day to sleep in until 10am! I didn't do all that much today, just checked some e-mails and chatted with friends. I watched a lot of South Park which thankfully is available in Germany! Tomorrow I will be starting work at my internship, I don't know what's in store, but I'm guessing I'll still be learning the ropes a little more tomorrow so it won't be too difficult! I'll try to get an update in tomorrow.

Auf Wiedersen (I think I spelled that correctly)!!
-Wright

No comments:

Post a Comment